To meet the demands of today’s market, you must think of many ways on how to keep it moving and growing. There are many challenges that a businessman will face in the field of business.
These challenges should be positively taken for aiming success. Complexities are becoming big as the manufacturing industry grows. There are times that machineries also encounter unexpected break down.
One method of minimizing such possibility is to apply total productive maintenance or TPM. This is applied to your equipment for its maximum benefit, to reduce defective products, to avoid wastes, and to provide customers with the best quality goods that they truly deserve. This program starts with the orientation to your employees pertaining total productive maintenance. It also ensures that they will realize the concepts behind it.
They have to know that producing the required number of items in the workplace is not enough. Still, it should always be free from any defects, as they can greatly affect the manufacturing industry. They also have to be reminded that they must use the equipment correctly.
The main purpose of this is not to cause damage to the items as well as to the company itself. An effective total productive maintenance presentation instills to the mind of your employees their sense of ownership for the machines that they are operating. If they have this kind of feeling, they would also feel that they are liable for it.
Total productive maintenance is now being used worldwide, but not all get its full benefits because some of its important elements are missing. The concepts along with this are good, but there are cases that many misunderstand this strategy. The key elements involved in this program should be taken into consideration to achieve its maximum benefits.
Here are the important factors to be considered in initiating this method:
• Good Leadership and Commitment – This is much needed all throughout the implementation of total productive maintenance strategy. The commitment of the upper management is vital not only to the employees who work in the manufacturing areas, but to employees working in other departments as well.
• Organizational Infrastructure – This should be aligned with the concept of the program implemented for consistency and better outputs.
• Training and Development – This is essential for every employee to be more equipped in implementing the program. Knowledge and skills should therefore be enhanced or improved for better results.
• Company Cultural Change – Each employee should support the philosophy of the company and not to resist it. Good understanding of this will contribute to the achievement of the program.
• Selection of Implementation Projects – Leaders of each team must determine first the areas where total productive maintenance should be applied. Select the most priority areas that need the program the most. Then employees under that area should be properly oriented and motivated. Improper selection may lead to failure of the implementation.
• Linking to Suppliers – It is also advised that you involve the suppliers in the implementation process. In that way, they will be informed about the principles underlying the desired program for them also to provide the best quality products that they are supplying to your company.
• Involvement of Finance Department – From the very start of the program, Finance Department should be a part of it so that all resources and inputs can be tracked down correctly.
• Information Technology Infrastructure – This is much needed to strictly monitor the program from the start until the end to ensure that it is well implemented.
• Linking to Remuneration Reward – This includes promotion and review of salary of all the employees working in your company. This will help to enhance the motivation of the employees in doing their respective jobs.
Total Productive Maintenance covers three phases to ensure its productivity.
First is planning. This will make sure that your employees are really ready to play their new roles and responsibilities during the implementation of the program.
Next is the implementation. A sequence of procedures on how to take this in action is needed. This is now the actual result of what has been planned. This should be consistent to the specific targets formulated by the company.
Lastly is to lead or sustain. This phase provides your people a chance to participate or get involved and be a part of the program. Here, employees are given the freedom to create experiments for them to know the relationship between the factors that are involved in the said program.
In achieving success, total productive maintenance would be of great help. This is not only limited to manufacturing processes, but to all business areas as well.
This requires change of work habits that can create a dramatic change in your business. Change can be made, especially if the situation calls for it.
Be flexible enough to embrace changes. Remember that change is the only permanent thing in this world.