Six sigma is known as a set of business tools and strategies that seek to improve the worth of process outputs. This is part of the business culture that aims a near to perfection operation.
This is done through identifying the defects to minimize the variables in manufacturing processes. It comprises a set of quality management methods like statistical methods to go for “zero defects”.
This initiative revolves in a few concepts. This includes critical value, defect, process capability, variation, stable operation, and the design for this method. This is helpful in the business world because it creates an environment for improving productivity.
Once the defects are identified, improvement ideas can be made in order to eliminate waste as well as variations in the processes. With earlier identification of problems, defects will be reduced. But this does not end here. In this vision, total flawlessness is desired. Continuous improvement is being done to develop the existing products or services. It also offers several training to have a better understanding of six sigma concepts.
Since six sigma is after the value, it is important to know the three key elements of quality.
1. Delighting customers – This is necessary since they expect for high value products or services. Having first class items is not enough. Therefore, you should aim for perfection.
2. Outside-in Thinking – Ensures the products’ value depending on the perspective of your customers and not yours. You must understand their needs and wants to meet their demands.
3. Leadership commitment – Quality is your responsibility to every customer. Therefore, you should be committed in giving satisfaction to the customers. This commitment is accompanied with involvement, knowledge and motivation.
Ways in Implementing Six Sigma
The main goal of six sigma method is to achieve a few defects in every opportunity. This can be done through the training internal leaders to employ effective techniques. This method has been adopted by distinct types of business establishments. If you opt to use this method, take the following guide for its accurate implementation:
• Entrust to the Project – Always ensure that every top-level management is on board. It means that both managerial and financial resources need to be available. You also need to set up guidelines and policies. Holding some trainings programs for every employee can also be a great move.
• Defining the Scope and Goals of the Project – In defining, you have to depend on the needs and feedbacks of your customers. Six sigma projects should rely on surveys, current projects and studies. For effective implementation, establish goals for the whole firm and make a few changes.
• Know it Defects – Analyzing the defects in the existing performance and system is very essential. To do this, you need a statistical data analysis. After identifying the possible causes of your current issues, explore and find ways to solve them. You also need to know the possible outcome of that issue to your organization.
• System Development – This can be done through finding some effective ways to do things cheaper, faster and better. As an option, you can use planning and management tools to develop your project.
• Process Management – Make sure that you know how to control the new process of your project. To do this, you have to change systems and measure processes to continue in achieving positive results.
Benefits of Six Sigma
As compared to other strategies, six sigma creates both tangible and elusive result. This method helps to increase the customers’ loyalty. With better products, more and more customers will be satisfied with your offered services and goods. Once they are satisfied, expect that they will patronize your finished products continuously.
For an organization, this method helps in cost-saving and skill development. It also improves the quality of product and the services that are suited for both external and internal customers. Six sigma also gives a chance to experience world class standard.
This method also increases the employee’s satisfaction and effective supply chain. It also helps in reducing cycle time, waste, data-based decision, time management, systematic problem solving and employee motivation. Other benefits include faster marketing, data analysis before making a decision, assure strategic planning, knowledge of competitors and many more.
However, this method is not only beneficial for an organization. It is also ideal for any individual or worker. As a worker, you can improve your skills and knowledge about the flow of business. You will also be aware of the different tools and strategies for your business’ success.
These wide details about six sigma provide guidelines on how to create a perfect product that fits to the needs of the customers.
Through accurate information about the method, you will be certain to make the right move. Either you are new to business industry or not, you should start knowing this method if you really want to have a successful business operation. Start exploring and be one of the successful businessmen today!